Deciding to sell your home is a big decision, and hiring the right person is key. As you evaluate realtors, use this list of questions to help you make your decision.
1.What is your list price to sale price ratio over the last year?
A high ratio shows that the realtor not only knows how to price properties correctly, they excel at getting that price for their sellers. The Illinois average for 2017 is 94.3%.
2. What is your total sales volume year to date?
Find out the average price point the realtor sells as well as the number or transactions they have had so far.
3. What are your cumulative average days on market for the last year?
When a home is staged, marketed and priced correctly, it can sell quickly. The Illinois average for 2017 is 87 days on market.
4. How long have you been in real estate?
It’s best to know if your realtor has a long history, with a full-time career in real estate career and a solid pattern of success.
5. In what area do you specialize?
In real estate, it’s all about location. Find out if the realtor knows your neighborhood.
6. What differentiates you from other realtors?
Every realtor has their strengths- let prospective candidates tell you about what they do best.
7. How often and by what means are we going to communicate?
Find out if your realtor will call, email, or text for scheduling showings, sharing feedback and giving general updates. Know if documents can be signed remotely via document management programs.
8. Do you accompany all showings?
Some realtors show their listings or have help from a team. Some use a lockbox and allowing other realtors to show clients your property.
9. What is the most effective means to create exposure for the sale of my property? Your realtor should have a strategic plan for finding the right buyers for your home.
10. What is the average list price to sale price in my area for comparable properties? Demonstrating market knowledge is key- a realtor should be able to pull data of similar properties to give you real prices that buyers are paying for properties like yours.
11. What is the average market time for comparable properties in my area?
Accessing data to show similar sales info is crucial. It also helps set an expectation for the length of the sale cycle.
12. What is the feeder market for my property?
Your realtor will base their strategy on the most likely buyers.
13. At what price would YOU buy my house?
The realtor will let you know how your house compares to other similar homes on the market and what buyers are paying for those homes.
14. What are the 3 biggest deficits for my house?
A realtor can tell you what can be improved upon prior to going to market.
15. What are the 3 best things about my house?
A realtor can help you show off your home’s best attributes to get more showings and better offers.
Your home is one of your biggest investments, so it’s crucial to find someone you trust. Let the interviewing process shed light on the realtor who can provide the best tools and services to create the most abundant sale.